Friday, December 14, 2007

Artists' Cafe'

This is another one of Somerset Studio Best magazines. This one if the best of Studio Art & Design.
There is a great article on the art of lettering. While looking through the six different articles on this subject I came across someone talking about seeing a familiar handwriting on an envelope and getting excited about it. We seldom see that anymore. I used to love to collect beautiful stationary, notepaper etc. for writing notes to people. Then it became rather one sided and I stopped doing it.
I was sorting some old paper work from my grandparents and came across a handwritten letter from my great grandfather to my mother. There was just something about seeing the handwriting that, for some reason, made me feel closer to him. He didn't have a lot of schooling.
I think he dropped out of school when he was 14 or 15 and started working for the railroad. His letter was carefully written in pencil.
There are lots of articles and eye candy of artwork from artists like Angela Cartwright, Michelle Ward, Nina Bagley and Anne Bagby.
Take some time out from your busy day, stop in at a bookstore and take a look at this magazine. It might be just the thing you need to inspire you for the new year or maybe it will make a great gift for someone you know.

No comments: